Tetra Engineering Group, Inc. (TETRA) was established in 1988 in the USA and since then has been providing specialized engineering services to operators of power generation boilers and thermal process plants worldwide. Starting in 1993, TETRA was one of the first companies to perform HRSG inspections independent of the OEMs. They have conducted over 1000 boiler and HRSG inspections at more than 200 power plant sites located throughout the world. This training course was developed using that extensive experience. While it is primarily intended for O&M staff working in the plants, the content is also very relevant to corporate engineering and plant management. The overall objective is to give attendees comprehensive insight into how to efficiently plan, execute and document a short and long outage.
HRSG Design and Process Essentials
The basics on how the HRSG is designed, operated and what are the key damage mechanisms that affect reliability and unit life.
- Basics of HRSG Design
- HRSG Operation and Controls
- Common HRSG Damage Mechanism
Background Planning and Preparation for Inspection
Why do we inspect? How can one best prepare for the inspection and thereby minimize the cost and duration of planned or unplanned outages?
- Statutory Requirements for Inspection
- Potential Uses of Inspection Data
- Inspection Frequency and Scope
- HRSG Inspection and Outage Management
- Developing an Effective and Efficient Inspection Plan
Learn about commonly applied inspection methods for HRSG Inspection. A description of each method and its applicability is discussed.
- Visual Inspection and Remote Visual Inspection
- Dye Penetrant and Magnetic Patricle Testing
- Ultrasonic Testing Techniques
- Hardness and Surface Replication
- Other Flaw Detection Techniques
- Destructive Tests: Metallurgy and Chemical Analysis
HRSG Components and Their Inspection
An overview of various parts of the HRSG, and where and how to look for damage and degradation
- Tubes and internal pressure parts
- Internal Gas Path Structures
- Casing, Stack and Exterior
- Drums, Tanks
- HRSG and External Power Piping
- Duct Burners and Emission Control
- Valves, Attemperators and Other Fixtures
Reporting & Inspection Data Management
- Making Good Field Notes and Photographs
- Assuring Quality Data from NDE
- Analyzing NDE Data
- Writing a Good Inspection Report
- Managing Inspection Records Over Time
All attendees will receive a complementary copy of our HRSG Inspection Planning Guide - 2nd edition.